Skip to Main Content
DMU Home DMU Home
LLS logo

Copyright, Licensing and GDPR: How to make broadcast programmes available

Further Information

The link below provides further information on the Educational Recording Agency licence.

How to record and make available off air recordings to DMU authorised users

Disc Image

light as a wave - onde de lumière / abdallahh / CC BY 2.0

The University's ERA (Education Recording Agency) licence permits us to record off-air and make copies of programmes broadcast by ERA's members (including the main terrestrial channels), for non-commercial educational purposes.  The licence also includes the Open University Worldwide Limited programmes as part of their repertoire.

  • The Library provides a service to make available off-air recordings either for addition to library stock or for use by academic staff in faculties in support of teachning.
  • UK-based registered students may borrow recordings, provided these are for educational use, but we are not allowed to supply recordings to students based overseas.
  • The University also subscribes to the ERA Plus Licence.  This means that recordings can be incorporated into LearningZone modules and accessed by students anywhere in the UK.

Box of Broadcasts

The library provides a service called TV & Radio on Demand (BoB), which is a subscription based Freeview off-air recording system and media archive.  It is a service available to all staff and students, who can record off-air programmes to view on or off campus.  Further information is available on the TV Radio on Demand (BoB) library guide.