Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
DMU Home DMU Home
LLS logo

Open Access: DMU Open Access Guide for Researchers

Funder Open Access Policies

Funder Open Access policies have been changing recently, as many funders are signed up to the Plan-S initiative.  Please do check with us when you're planning to submit to a journal, so we can explore the options available to meet your funder's requirements. Contact

These downloadable documents outline the requirements for most of the funders that DMU receives funding from.

If you are applying for research funding, always check if you can include costing for Gold Open Access in your funding bid.

REF Open Access Policy

For the REF, certain outputs have to be Open Access in order to be eligible for submission.  Download the leaflet below for details of how to meet the REF Open Access requirements.

Please note that the REF 2021 Open Access requirements continue to apply until further notice.


And check our Frequently Asked Questions on REF Open Access.


Research England allow a small number of exceptions to the Open Access policy.  If you are unable to meet the requirements, check this list to see if an exception may be applicable.


The full REF guidance, including Open Access guidance, can be found on Research England's REF website 

Working with third parties

If you are working with a research partner, or including material for which someone else owns copyright (e.g. images), you will need to check that they agree to making the research outputs Open Access.

  • Does your research partner have their own Open Access policy?
  • Who will be responsible for paying any APCs?
  • Are you including any material that others own the copyright for?

About Open Access

Open Access (OA) refers to making scholarly research outputs freely available to all via the internet, thereby generating benefits for individual researchers, for research generally, for the economy and wider society.

For journal articles and published conference proceedings, there are two main routes into Open Access - gold or green:

DMU has agreements with some publishers, for Gold Open Access: 

  • Wiley (covers most journals) Please follow this guidance when submitting an article
  • Cambridge University Press (covers most journals)
  • Elsevier (covers most journals, except fully Open Access/Pure Gold journals). Please check with before submitting.
  • Sage (covers most journals, except fully Open Access/Pure Gold journals). Please check with before submitting.
  • IEEE (covers a limited number of APCs for some journals). Please check with before submitting.

We hope to bring more publisher agreements on stream soon, so watch this space.

We have a small fund from UKRI to support UKRI-funded researchers in making journal articles and some conference proceedings Open Access.  Use the online application form to apply for this fund (N.B. You will need to sign in using your DMU email address).

We do not currently have resources to support Gold Open Access publication, except in the above cases.

Where should I deposit my research publication or output?

DORA (De Montfort Open Research Archive) is the University's institutional publications repository. It enables publications to be made available through the Green Open Access route. It also includes the metadata (description) of non Open Access research outputs, so that individuals and groups both within and outside the University can view information about the University's research outputs

Which version of my article should I deposit?

Image reproduced from HEFCE's policy guide at​

The publisher of your article will specify which version you can upload. This could be:

Pre-print: This is your original draft, prior to peer review and the publisher’s corrections. Please note that pre-print versions do not normally meet funder requirements. 

Author's accepted manuscript: This is your corrected version of the draft, following the peer review process. Also known as the Accepted Manuscript (AM) or Post-Print.  

Publisher’s Version or Published Journal Article or Version of Record (VoR): This is the final published article, formatted in the publisher's style. It will meet all funder requirements.

What licence should I use?

Creative Commons is a non-profit organization that enables legal sharing and use of creativity and knowledge by providing a simple, standardised way of granting copyright permissions/licences to a piece of work. 

Check whether your funder and/or publisher specify a licence you need to use.

The image below explains the various licences and their components.

Contact Us

Support for Open Access is offered through Library & Learning Services and Research Services. 


Information on recording and depositing items to DORA can be found on this page.  If you need any further assistance you can contact the DORA team, based in Library & Learning Services:


Open Access Awareness sessions

We hold termly training sessions for research staff on Open Access.  Contact for details


Alternatively, check out the bite size videos below.

Please note that the REF 2021 Open Access requirements continue to apply until further notice.

N.B. Video 5: Meeting Funder requirements is awaiting update to reflect new funder requirements. 

DMU Open Access Policy

DMU's Open Access policy details how all DMU staff should be making their outputs Open Access.  If research is externally funded, please note the need to meet funder requirements as well.

Depositing research data

DMU Figshare is DMU's repository for storing and sharing research data.