Individual Journal: Each person has their own journal and by default see only their own entries. Only your tutor can view your entries unless your tutor enables all students to view each other’s entries. If unsure ask your tutor.
Group Journal: If groups have been set up, you may be given access to a group journal, only group members can post and only group members and tutors can view the entries and add comments.
The following guidance below mainly focuses on blogs but is also applicable to the journal in regards to the interface, posting entries and leaving comments.
Course Blog: If your tutor sets up the course blog in your Blackboard module everyone enrolled on the module will be able to view it. All tutors on the Blackboard module can add and edit posts (content) and they can choose whether or not to allow students to add or edit comments.
Group Blog: If your tutor has set up group blog’s in your Blackboard module only those members of the group blog will be allowed to view, post and edit content. Other members in different group blogs will not be allowed access. Each member of the group will normally be allowed to add and edit content in their group blog.
Individual Blog: If your tutor has set up individual Blogs, each person has their own area of the blog and by default see their own entries. However every user also can view each other’s posts.
There are several places where you can get to the Course Blog and the Group Blogs. If you are unsure about where to locate your blog in your Blackboard module please ask your tutor.
Your tutor may have put a direct link to the course blog on your Blackboard module main menu. This can be called anything but your tutor will normally have informed you about how to access the blog. The course blog can also be accessed by selecting Course Tools from the Blackboard module main menu which links to the course blog.
Group & Individual Blogs
Your tutor may have put a direct link to your group blog on your Blackboard module main menu. Within the group blog folder, there will be a list of names of Group blogs each with View links. Click on the link to enter your relevant group blog.
1. Locate and select the blog link in your Blackboard module as advised by your tutor
Note: Blackboard journals have a similar interface. The journal details information panel on the right shows a breakdown of entries per week or month depending on how it has been set up by the tutor.
2. To create a blog entry select ‘Create Blog Entry’ on the Action Bar.
3. On the ‘Create Blog Entry’ page, enter a Title for the Blog entry.
4. Enter your text in the Entry Message text box. Format the text and add images, links, multimedia and attachments using the functions in the Text Editor as appropriate.
5. Attachments added using the Text Editor can be launched in a new window and have alternate text added to describe the attachment.
6. Alternatively, under Blog Entry Files, browse for a file to attach to the Blog entry.
7. Click Post Entry to submit the Blog entry or click Save ‘Entry as Draft’ to add the entry later.
If the blog has been set up to post anonymously, you can apply this be checking the ‘Post Entry as Anonymous’
Comments can be left for blog post entries: