Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
DMU Home DMU Home
LLS logo

Using Other Libraries: Home

What is SCONUL?

The SCONUL scheme offers access and borrowing rights for academic staff and research, part-time, distance learning, postgraduate and placement students at participating higher education libraries. Reference only access for full-time undergraduates.

Full details of the SCONUL Access scheme, including a list of all member libraries, are available from the SCONUL website. To access other universities, you need to apply online for SCONUL access. You will receive a SCONUL Access e-mail to your DMU e-mail address, which you’ll need to print off and present, along with your De Montfort ID, at those libraries you wish to use.

SCONUL Vacation Agreement

Vacation access to higher education libraries for undergraduate and taught postgraduate students.

De Montfort University students on undergraduate or taught postgraduate courses will normally be granted reference use of other higher education libraries in the UK or Ireland during vacations. Please note that this applies to the vacation periods of the library you choose to visit.

When visiting another library you should take your De Montfort University library card with you as proof that you are a current student. You are strongly advised to check the website of the library you intend to use for vacation dates, opening hours, any additional documentation required etc. Further details of the SCONUL Vacation Agreement can be found on the SCONUL website.

British Library Logo

University staff and students wishing to carry out research at the British Library are subject to their standard admissions criteria. Proof of home address (utility bill, bank statement, driving licence) and signature (credit card, passport, driving licence) are needed. Students may also be asked to present student ID cards.

Full details of how to apply for a reader's pass are available on the British Library web pages.