Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
DMU Home DMU Home LLS Home
LLS logo

Researchers: Dissemination & Open Access

Are you REF ready?

Link to Open Access GuideTo be eligible for REF 2021 you need to ensure any journal articles or conference publications are deposited in DORA or other open access archive as soon after the point of acceptance as possible and no later than 3 months after this date. The Open Access guide provides more information.

An ORCID author identifier is strongly encouraged for submitted staff.

The average number of outputs required per FTE will be 2.5. There will be a minimum of 1 output and maximum of 5 outputs for each submitted staff member.

Choosing where to publish

Different publishing outlets perform different functions.  

For example, journal papers have an ISSN, making them more discoverable and they generally attract more citations. However, delivering a paper at a conference can provide you with feedback on your research and has networking benefits.

Which journal should I publish in?

Check out the authority of the journal.  Some journals may be predatory and may not bona fide journals or publishers.  The Think, Check, Submit website provides a checklist and can ensure you are submitting to an authoritative journal that will reach the right audience.

How can I find a list of journals for my subject area?

Some subject areas may have a specific list of recommended journals, such as the Chartered Association of Business Schools Academic Journal Guide

For others, you can check journal rankings, such as Impact Factors or SCImago Journal Rankings.  These rankings extract citation data from the Web of Science and Scopus databases and rank journals according to their impact.  The journal impact online guide provides more advice on ranking systems and tools.

Listen to this recording from Clarivate Analytics that introduces the Journal Citations Reports Index and Essential Science Indicators Database. Both databases can provide analytical data about journal citations.

Publishing your data

Publishing your datasets alongside your paper adds value to your research and can enable higher citations.

The RDM online guide provides more information.

Open Access publishing

"Open Access (OA) material is digital, online, free of charge, and free of most copyright and licensing restrictions. What makes it possible is the internet and the consent of the author or copyright-holder" (Suber, P: A Very Brief Introduction to Open Access)

More information about open access, including funder and REF requirements, copyright and licences, depositing your research, and paying for gold open access where relevant, is available on the Open Access online guide.

Depositing your research

DORA (De Montfort Open Research Archive) is the University's institutional publications repository. It enables publications to be made available through the Green Open Access route. It also includes the metadata (description) of non Open Access research outputs, so that individuals and groups both within and outside the University can view information about the University's research outputs.

How to write a great paper

ORCID author identifier

ORCID provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every  other researcher, ensuring:

  • Integration with key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, allowing for automated linkages between you and your professional activities.
  • Your work is recognised and is properly attributed to you. 

The ORCID webpage provides more information and an online registration form.

Self-publishing - obtaining an ISBN

The library can provide ISBN and DOI (Digital Object Identifiers) numbers for university publications.

DOIs are unique numbers assigned to some journal articles and conference papers, to create a URL directing straight to the article or conference paper.

If you want to self-publish externally to the University, then you need to obtain your own ISBNs. The ISBN Agency handles new applications.

Note that some types of publication are not eligible for an ISBN.

For more information contact Alan Cope (ext. 6391).

Understanding who owns your copyright

The Open Access licences guide provides advice on protecting your copyrights as an author of an academic publication, when dealing with publishers.